Thursday, August 18, 2005

Update!

Ugh. I'm back from the peace of the Michigan woods and water way, way too soon for my liking. Unfortunately I didnt have a camera to give you a visual, but highlights include:

--Major time with my 14 month-old nephew, who turned out to be the most charming of little beings I have ever met. I know I said I don't like kids but it turns out I only like the ones belonging to people I love.

--Drew rowing my mother around the pond.


--Hummingbirds, crickets, driftwood, toads, beach rocks, cold water, wet dogs.


--A barbeque at my sister's beautiful house in the woods, which included me eating the worm from a bottle of Mezcal, major fireworks and a quarter stick of dynamite, all purchased by my brother-in-law during a road trip stop in Wisconsin for "cheese", and highlighted by the sounds of AC/DC set to 11 on the volume knob. To which my sister shouted, "Damn it, if the cops come Im the one thats going to have to talk to them!" I told her she needed to loosen up a little and forced her to do a shot of Jack. And then two hours later, after some merriment and very loud noises and a few holes in the lawn the cops did indeed show up and my sister was the one appointed to speak to them. She claims that I need to grow up and I claim that she needs to yell "Wooooooo!!" more often.

--Way, way too much food: ice cream, pasta, cake, pie, sandwiches, potato chips, french toast...as my Brazilian friend Carolina puts it, it was the Caligula of food. And what a time we had, but now the time has come to pay the piper for a summer of indulgence. I am in serious need of some weight loss and today begins the soup and salad march of atonement. *sigh*
So I wanted to give all of you who know me personally (or are interested) a little update, since there are so many things going on:

I told most of you that I was leaving Patricia Field to co-manage my friend Johnny T's beautiful new club Movida. The decision was based on a few reasons, but mostly due to the fact that my job at PF is 3 days a week and I have been supplementing it with jobs that weren't completely right for me. When I told the afore-mentioned Carolina, who is the Director of PF, that I was leaving she totally freaked out and offered me all kinds of attractive incentive to stay. She said that she didn't believe there was anyone else who could do the job that I do and the words "golden office" were even thrown out there. Of course, I'm not going to hold her to that one, I look terrible in gold! But I was most flattered and happy to get the appreciation. Trust me when I say this moment in my life has been a long time coming, and that I just realized that I need to write a crap job blog.

So it turns out that I will not be leaving the hot pink, high clown world of Patricia Field after all and will be at the store full time doing the lingerie buying along with my usual tasks. I am a huge lingerie fan, so I think I'll probably be good at this and am excited about having some influence over NY's female population's undie choices. But please don't start bugging me to stock your cousin's or girlfriend's amateur barbed wire bra designs as I havent gotten started yet.

And btw, Johnny T was a gem about the whole thing as I'd already accepted his offer and kept him waiting for a few weeks, so that guy is aces in my book.

On a random side note, I suddenly have become very popular with dogs on myspace. Who are you people making all these pages for your dogs?

While we were home I had a reading from my mom's friend Robert, who is an excellent psychic and an all around sweetheart. Here are some things he told me:

He said that my blogging was helping more people than I am aware of and that I should continue trying to address the topics that I find interesting. I would like everyone to know that I really enjoy the connection that happens with blogging and am always very interested in what everyone else has to say in response.

He told me that before eating or drinking anything, take a moment to bless (as well as be thankful for) whatever is in front of you. Think about all of the various energies that pass through the water or food in front of you, from the bodies and places the water has flown through to the people growing, picking, and preparing your food. Not all of these energies may be good for you, and blessing what you take in will clear some of that. If you are going to eat meat (which I do sometimes) spend the extra money on organic, free-range meat. Not only is it healthier on a practical level--free of antibiotics and hormones, but the actual energy is higher. There is less suffering and fear in the meat, which we have to realize was once a thinking, feeling creature that was raised and killed to be eaten and felt and vibrated with all of those sad energies. It either had a decent life or a terrible one, and it most likely felt fear before it died, and all of that stuff passes from the food to you. So just be conscious of what you are taking into your body and into your energy system. Robert mentioned that a good experiment is to watch how co-workers or friends behave after eating shitty or junk food, that sometimes you can actually see an emotional/personality shift depending on who the person is and what they're taking in. I have yet to do this but Im curious.

Robert also said that I would do very well with a radio show working on these topics, that it would be very healing for people. Frankly, if you have ever spoken to me in person or on the phone, you know I have a nasal Midwestern twang, which is hardly soothing. And I am not particularly clever verbally, which is why I like to write. I'm one of those people that comes up with the smart retort five minutes after it's too late. Not to mention that I have no training in the world of radio and never even thought about it before. But whatever, all those things are just that naysaying voice we all have, so I will toss those thoughts aside and state that I am open to anything the Universe wants to throw at me. So I'm putting it out there to you--if you have any ideas on this subject let me know.

I came to the realization that my dog is almost completely blind, I knew he couldn't see well but it became very obvious when he had a field to run around in. Robert told me this is a result of the abuse he suffered (which was mighty) and the blindness was only going to get worse. He said that the dog doesn't want to think about his past (for clearing or healing) and just wants to be near me leading his mellow little life. This particular issue has been a tough one for me as he is not a normal, fun dog--he doesn't want anyone but those he knows intimately to touch him (because he doesnt equate touch with love like most dogs), he has seizures, everything freaks him out, and he can't really walk on the street because he can't see and is afraid. I have had some major longing for a normal dog and a couple years of frustration hoping that he would change with time. But speaking with Robert about it made me realize I have to just let this issue go and have some acceptance. My mother pointed out that maybe its my job to be "in service" to this being, which really struck a chord. He is a loving little soul, sometimes he just walks up to me and presses his mushy face into my feet in the most tender way, and I can feel that he is so bonded to me that it would destroy his spirit to be abandoned again, even if I were to give him to someone who could deal. So maybe it is a holy act to simply love and accept him for who he is and stop trying to get my psychic connections to "have a talk with him" and straighten him out. Some things are just meant to be what they are.

There was a myriad of other things--Robert says I need to keep my tiny EV apartment and get a country house for the weekends. I of course asked where the bounty would come to purchase such a wonderful thing and he said it will come. He also told me that for me the time is NOW and all the dark times I have had in the past have been leading up to this period in my life, which is to be fun and lucrative. And I say, bring it on! And I promise I'll take as many of you as I can along for the the ride.


So lastly, I want to thank everyone for all the sweet and insightful comments and messages you leave me re the blogs. I am very grateful for the connection that myspace has brought and happy that you find these ramblings interesting enough to read. I consider your online and personal friendships a true gift.

No comments: