Tuesday, September 6, 2005

When the Levee Breaks


So I have been thinking about jobs a lot since mine shifted recently, and I actually started writing a long (of course) blog about work, that I'll eventually finish and post here. But at the moment I feel that it would be incredibly self-centered to discuss my own shit when so many people in the South have had their lives demolished.

I have two friends down there: My friend Angel lives in Mississippi and as I write this is on her way to Nashville to stay with her boss. I haven't been able to call her bc her cell won't take calls, but she left me a message to say she was fine physically but everything she had was gone. Gone! Can you imagine what that must feel like? It makes my stomach hurt.

The other one is Brian, who I love dearly but only talk to through email. He recently started working on the Cycle Slut website for me, for free, because that's the kind of person he is. I sent him some photos to post last week and he emailed me back that he had to evacuate New Orleans and would do it when things calmed down. I still haven't heard from him. And the fucked thing is he just moved down there fairly recently. I'm pretty sure he's okay physically but what about his house? And his job? Even if you have somewhere to go, you still have to rebuild a life all over again, either somewhere else or in a city where everything is rubble. And what if you don't have somewhere to go? How do people recover from this?

So I know that they still don't have the federal funding they need down there because George Bush has spent it all on his favorite war. And where was the funding New Orleans needed years ago to fortify against this kind of thing? I am a political dunce so I can't give any real comment about what Bush is doing or not doing but my guess is that it's probably more on the not doing side. I do know that right now people are getting crazy over gas, homeless, suffering for water, and doing autopsies in parking lots. That's pretty fucking crazy, and it makes me want to stop thinking about my silly self for a moment and send some serious energy and prayers (and some cash) down their way.

If you and the people you love are safe tonight, look around at all you have and be grateful. We are so incredibly lucky day after day, and it's a shame that sometimes it takes a disaster to help us see that.

I'm sending much love to all those folks in the eye of the storm. Let's hope their journeys aren't too arduous.

No comments: